18 Sept 2006

The Pope and The Quote

I could do a really long dissection over what the Pope said and how he was wrong to say and that is was bad and stuff and so forth and so on but I won't. Instead I just want to point something out which I think is pretty ironic.

To quote the Pope who quoted Byzantine emperor Manuel II Palaeologus:

“Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and then you shall find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.”

End quote.

So the Muslim world comes out and takes offence at the quote used. Are they wrong to do that? Of course not.

What I think is ironic though, is that apart from the usual ruckus and protest this quote caused, Muslim in some parts of the world attacked churches and killed a nun.
By doing so, they have just proven that what the Pope quoted is correct and very true. Islam appears to be a religion where violence against innocent non-Muslims is accepted and apparently not a contradiction to a "God that is most forgiving; most merciful."

What is our world coming to?

No comments: