21 May 2005

Goodbye Star Wars

Let me get this off my chest, I am a confirmed Star Wars nut. No question about it. I'm one of the few people on this planet, (6 in total I think) that do not believe the Ewoks was a bad idea, that Jar Jar Binks should be executed and Hayden Christensen makes Keanu Reeves look like a freaking good actor. Ok, maybe on the last one, I do agreee. He can't act. Both of them.

This brings me to the main point I wanted to bring up, which is the fact that the last of the Star Wars movies are over. Finito. Habis. Kaput. The End. We seen Anakin Skywalker become Darth Vader. We've seen how the Palpatine becomes the hideously disfigured Emperor. It's over and I for am upset.

Upset not because the movie was bad. It was good. Wooden dialogue and all. I'm upset because it seems like an end to an era of sci-fi in cinemas and movies. No more Star Wars movies. No more Star Trek TV series. No more Sta Trek movies. What are us nerds out there going to watch? It's like a whole genre of entertainment has come to an end.

Are there no more good sci-fi stories out there to tell. Has space finally been conquered, explored and basically, we've seen it all? I don't think so. So come on, anyone, someone, bring sci-fi back. I'll be here waiting.

1 comment:

greyscalefuzz said...

I think someone should do Asimov (well, someone did with 'I Robot'), especially the Foundation series. Foundation set the stage for Star Wars you know - just reading about Trantor is enough to know that Lucas used that as his idea for Coruscant.

Go Wikipedia Trantor and you'll know what I mean.